TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Closing date for applications: Friday 20th July 2018
WHO CAN APPLY?
- THE SOLOIST is ONLY open to amateurs (AMATEURS being defined as the contestant(s) who are not currently under any binding performance or managerial contracts, as well as any recording contract or other entertainment-based legal agreements). If there is doubt or question about your status, it is best to contact us for clarification of what will be acceptable.
- Contestants must be 12-30 yrs. of age and resident in Ireland or The UK or be of Irish Descent.
- Contestants must be VOCAL SOLOIST, VOCAL DUO or VOCAL GROUP ( max. 6 members ).
- Contestants can perform in any genre: Classical, Pop, Traditional, Jazz, Folk, Country, other.
- Contestants must be available to perform/rehearse with the CBOI on the following dates:
- National Tour. Every weekend from mid January – mid March 2019
- Sundays in September, October, November and December 2018 for rehearsals with the CBOI in preparation for tours. (Rehearsals will be held in Dundalk)
A parent/guardian of contestants under 18 years of age must also be available to attend/travel with the contestant.
- Perform to an estimated audience of 40,000, with the Cross Border Orchestra of Ireland for their National Spring Tour at venues including the SSE Arena, Belfast, Simmonscourt Arena, RDS, Dublin and The Echo Arena, Liverpool.
- €1,000 cash prize. (Presented when all performances are complete)
- The possibility of future engagements including international concert tours.
HOW TO APPLY (On-line application only)
Closing date for applications: Friday 20th July 2018
- Read and e-sign the Competition Application and Agreement on-line at www.thesoloist.ie
- Attach a link to a video clip / YouTube clip (no voice enhancements may be used)
- Pay the entry fee of €20 on line
CONTESTANTS UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE must inform their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of their entry into the competition. A parent must be present at all events if entrant is under 18 years of age.
- Closing date for applications: Friday 20th July 2018
- Semi Finals/ Final: 12th August 2018 ( date and venue to be decided)
LIVE HEATS – YOUR PERFORMANCE
- Contestants who have made it through to the Semi-Finals will be notified about the venue and time of their competition in advance. If you cannot attend at the appointed time, please notify us and we will try to facilitate you at an alternative time.
- Audience tickets will be on sale for the Semi final and Final.
- Each Contestant will have a maximum of 4 minutes to perform
- Contestants must be prepared ahead of the performance, If you are using backing tracks, they must be emailed in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org If you are using an accompanist they should bring everything they need e.g. guitar; keyboard; music stand etc. If you require stage props other than these, they must be approved by us three (3) weeks prior to the competition heats. Backing tracks can be obtained for many websites for example http://www.karaoke-version.com
- There will be NO special lighting. White lighting ONLY will be used.
- If a contestant is found to be unsportsmanlike, exhibiting poor behavior, causing a disruption to the competition in any way, or causing damage to surrounding property then these actions will result in that contestant’s immediate disqualification.
- The order of performance will be determined by a random selection process. The contestant will be given their performance order no later than 30 minutes prior to the start of the competition.
- The winning contestant/s of each Semi Final will automatically qualify for the Final.
- The CBOI will decide the performance programme for all concerts, and for any other events that may arise as a result of this competition. The winning contestant must perform material requested by the CBOI.
- Contestants will be judged based on their performance. The following factors will be taken into account:
- Presentation and performance
- Suitability of chosen material
- Suitability of the competitor to perform with the CBOI and represent Ireland nationally and Internationally
- Potential for development
- Judges Decisions: All winners will be announced at the end of each event. The Judges’ decisions are final.
The contestant MUST agree to the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement in its entirety, without altering or defacing the agreement; and complete the Application and Agreement. The Contestant acknowledges if there is any false information, agreement alteration or misrepresentation, the performance agreement becomes null & void, effective immediately, disqualifying contestant.
- The CBOI will honor the privacy and confidentiality of our contestants. We will not share any information about contestants with other contestants.
- The CBOI agrees to plan, organize and execute a competition and the Contestant understands and agrees to compete in the entire competition series until elimination.
- The Contestant must not use any voice enhancements on their recorded submission.
- The CBOI may request further video submissions prior to the Semi-finals.
- The Contestant agrees to take full responsibility to maintain open communication with CBOI, including written, phone and/or email correspondence, from registration until elimination from the competition.
- When entering the competition, the participant(s) agree to allow CBOI the right to obtain photographs, DVDs and video recordings of the competitions that can be used by the CBOI for any purpose without permission from them and without compensation.
- The Contestant must cover any and all costs relating to their participation in the Heats, Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and Finals and any other costs relating to the competition.
- The payment of €1000 euro will be made to the winning contestant ONLY when they have completed ALL required performances, interviews etc including the International and National Tour. If any part of the tours is not completed to the satisfaction of the CBOI, the payment will not be made.
- The CBOI will decide the performance programme for all international and national concerts and any other events that may arise as part of this competition. The winning contestant must perform material requested by the CBOI.
- The Contestant acknowledges that the CBOI has no liability to them if they are unable to attend or take part in the competition and may at any time disqualify them from the Competition at their sole discretion.
- The Contestant confirms that they will be available to perform/rehearse with the CBOI on the dates listed below and confirms that a parent/guardian of the contestant under 18 years of age is also be available to attend/travel with the contestant.
- National Tour. Every weekend from mid January – Mid March 2018
- Sundays in September, October, November ad December 2017 for rehearsals with the CBOI in preparation for tours. (Rehearsals will be held in Dundalk)
- CBOI and the hosting facility are not responsible for personal injury to either contestants or spectators. CBOI is not responsible for lost or stolen property.
- CBOI, or its officers, directors officials, staff or volunteers are not responsible for injuries sustained or illnesses contracted by contestants while in attendance and/or participating in any activity related to the competition auditions, heats, showcases, quarter finals, semi finals or/and finale.
- The CBOI reserves the right to terminate this agreement at any time and is not obliged to allow the winning contestant to perform in all or any concerts.
- The CBOI reserves the right to disqualify any contestant(s) at any time.
- CBOI reserves the right to amend the rules based on the competition and/or circumstances.
- The contestant acknowledges that the CBOI reserve the right to amend the rules (including without limitation verbally) or terminate the competition; disqualify the contestant at any time without liability to the contestant.
- The CBOI reserves the right: (1) to combine events (2) cancel any competition event that does not have adequate entries.
- The CBOI reserves the right to disqualify any contestant if they are deemed to be acting outside the spirit of the competition. The CBOI’s decisions shall be final.
- The CBOI will endeavour to operate the Competition and apply the rules and conditions of the competition as devised by the CBOI. However the CBOI reserves the right to remove contestants from the Competition at their absolute discretion.
- Judges Decisions: All winners will be announced at the end of each event The Judges’ decisions are final.
- Talking with or contacting Judges before, during or after the competitions is unethical and inappropriate and may result in disqualification
- Videoing of the competition events is not allowed.
- The contestant must report to all interviews, meetings, practice sessions, calls and photo sessions when requested.
- In the event a contestant performs any music and/or lyrics which are composed and/or written by themselves, they guarantee that such Compositions are wholly original.
- The contestant guarantees that they have not entered into any commercial, sponsorship or other agreement or arrangement with any person, firm or organisation in respect of their entry in the competition and/or musical, musical writing and/or performing abilities and will not do so.
- The contestant agrees to observe all procedures and rules and obey all instructions given by a member of the CBOI and/or any location staff in connection with the competition and the management of the locations and the fire safety and security arrangements in those locations.
- Competition winners acknowledge and agree to make themselves available for appearances and promotions connected to this competition and the CBOI events. These will be at such times and in such locations as the CBOI may reasonably require in respect of the competition including without limitation showcases and the Grand Final for the following year, interviews, publicity, press calls, photographs, recordings and/or other contributions.
- The contestant freely enters this Agreement and hereby agrees to indemnify the CBOI in respect of any and all actions, proceedings, claims, damages and other liabilities which may be brought against or incurred by the CBOI as a result of the breach of any guaranties, representations, obligations or undertakings by the contestant.
- Contestants under 18 years of age must inform their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of their entry into the competition. A parent must be present at all events if entrant/s are under 18 years of age. By submitting this electronic form the competitor and a parent/ legal guardian have accepted and agreed to all terms and conditions.
- The CBOI reserves the right to require at any time proof of identity and/or eligibility.
- All personal details and/or information given by contestants must be truthful, accurate and in no way misleading. Contestants must notify the CBOI immediately if any such information becomes inaccurate.
- The CBOI reserves the right to disqualify any contestant if they supply untruthful, inaccurate or misleading personal details and/or information, have failed to abide by the rules and/or are in breach of the terms hereof.
- The Contestant and Parent/legal Guardian of contestants under 18 years of age agree to submit a non-enhanced video/YouTube clip; a non-refundable Registration Fee of €20; the Application Form and Agreement which includes liability waiver. Submissions must be received on or before Friday 20th July 2018.