HMV EXCLUSIVELY REVEAL THE SOLOIST 2015 SEMI-FINALISTS
As proud sponsor of The Soloist 2015, hmv are delighted to reveal the performers that are going through to the semi-final of this year’s talent competition, organised by the Cross Border Orchestra of Ireland (CBOI).
Out of over 450 singers, musicians and dancers who entered, 35 semi-finalists were picked from all corners of the island and will perform live in front of a panel of judges on Sunday 9th of August from 2pm, in the historic Freemasons’ Hall on Molesworth St in Dublin. The top 10 scoring performers will go on to compete in The Soloists Final, which is taking place later that day in the same venue.
This year’s lucky winner will join the CBOI, a full symphony orchestra comprised of over 100 young musicians from North and South of the border, as they perform to over 30,000 people nationwide in some of Ireland’s most iconic venues, including the RDS in Dublin and the Odyssey Arena in Belfast. In addition to this unique opportunity, the winner will also receive a €1,000 cash prize.
Paul McGowan, CEO of hmv owners Hilco Capital, said: “hmv are proud supporters of Irish music, so we’re delighted to be involved with such a wonderful initiative. The Soloist has already unearthed some seriously talented Irish performers and the standard of this year’s competition has been really high. We’re confident that we’ll be able to follow through on our promise of finding Ireland’s next big talent and look forward to seeing what the finalist have to offer on the day.”
Sharon Treacy-Dunne, CEO of the CBOI, said: “Under the sponsorship of hmv, The Soloist has managed to grow even bigger this year. I’d like to take this opportunity to congratulate all of the semi-finalists on making it through to the live finals, and indeed to everyone who entered the competition. I’d also like to thank Paul McGowan, CEO of hmv owners Hilco Capital, for his continued support of the CBOI as we endeavour to find Ireland’s next big talent.
This is the second year The Soloist has taken place, and the first year hmv have sponsored it. Last year’s competition was a rousing success, culminating with 17-year-old singer Megan Ruby Walsh from Navan, Co Meath winning the coveted prize.
For more information check out www.thesoloist.ie
The full list of semi-finalists for The Soloist 2015 are:
- Zoe Talbot – Swords, Co.Dublin – Singer (Musical Theatre)
- Labhaoise Mchugh – Skerries, Co.Dublin – Singer (Musical Theatre)
- Luke Kehoe Roche – Rathgar, Dublin – Violin (Classical)
- Matt Rafter – Naas, Co. Kildare – Cello (Rock/ Classical Crossover)
- Kevin Neary – Ballinasloe, Co. Galway – Guitar / Singer (Pop / Acoustic)
- Helen Keenan – Tydavnet, Co. Monaghan – Singer (Classical)
- Catherine Mulcahy – Pallaskenr, Co. Limerick – Guitar (Pop)
- Danielle Rogan – Craigavon, Co Armagh – Flute (Classical)
- Chris Moriarty-Pearson – Celbridge, Co.Kildare – Clarinet (Classical)
- Fionnuala Quinn – Dundalk, Co. Louth – Singer (Classical)
- Donnchadh Hughes – Dundalk, Co. Louth – Flute (Traditional Irish)
- Katie O’Connor – Clarehill, Dublin – Singer (Pop / Jazz)
- Philippa Carson – Ballsbridge, Dublin – Singer (Musical Theatre)
- Daniel Kerr – Ballyclare, Co Antrim – (Musical Theatre)
- Maria Meagher – Newry, Co. Down – Singer (Classical)
- Aimee Banks – Moycullen, Galway – Singer (Classical)
- Deirdre Anne Higgins – Moate, Co. Westmeath – Singer (Classical / Musical Theatre)
- Orlaith Mulholland – Dundalk, Co. Louth – Singer (Classical)
- Georgiana Malone – Enfeild, Co Meath – Singer (Classical)
- Bianca Cristina Lucaci – Dublin – Singer/ Piano (Pop)
- Aoife Brennan – Kells, Kilkenny – Singer / Piano (Pop/ Jazz / Classical)
- Tara McNeill – Sandyford, Dublin – Voice / Violin / Harp (Celtic Classic Crossover)
- Dana Dempsey – Santry, Dublin 9 – Singer (Pop)
- Grace Evans – Kilquade, Co. Wicklow – Singer (Musical Theatre)
- Leanna Marie Carragher – Bellurgan, Dundalk – Singer (Musical Theatre)
- Melissa Murphy – Lexlip, Co. Kildare – Singer (Classical)
- Clare Quinn – Renmore, Galway – Singer (Classical)
- Sionan Mullan – Ballynahinch, Co Down – Singer (Classical / Contemporary)
- Andrea Snyder – Co. Kilkenny – Singer (Pop)
- Sinead Mary O Donovan – Clonmel, Tipperary – Singer (Classical/Musical Theatre)
- Sinead Curran – Drogheda, Co. Louth – Singer (Musical Theatre, Country, Pop, Jazz)
- Cian Brenan Gavin – Mullingar, Co. Westmeath – Singer (Classical/Musical Theatre)
- Daniel Kearney – Dungarvan, Co Waterford – Piano (Classical)
- Cheryl Ann Mccullagh – Singer (Country/ Pop / Jazz / Musical Theatre)
- Sarah Richmond – Carrickfergus, Co Antrim – Singer (Classical)
Visit hmv Ireland on Facebook and Twitter.